We were founded in 1801 as “The Society for the Relief of Decayed Members” with the aim of providing support to members of the London Stock Exchange who had fallen upon hard times. In 1877 the name of the charity changed to "The Stock Exchange Benevolent Fund" and, while the name of our charity has changed, our core purpose remains the same to this day. Money was raised by collections administered by elected Stewards from members and member firms. The Fund also receives voluntary donations and bequests. The Fund is governed by a board of Trustees and the Fund’s assets are professionally managed, with the income used to provide the grant funding. The most recent rules of the SEBF were drawn up at a general meeting in 2015 and copies are held in the offices of the charity.